Group Admins

• Profile picture of Linda, W6LJB (district emergency coordinator)
  • Profile picture of admin
  • Profile picture of Peter, KI6FAO (treasurer)
  • Profile picture of Peggy, KI6PGA (vice president)
  • Profile picture of Pat, KJ6GMG (secretary & emergency coordinator)

General

Public Group active 2 days, 21 hours ago

Discussion of general interest including club business and events. Please post ARES discussion in the SC4ARES group.

Winter Field Day 2019

Tagged: 

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  David, KM6DOV 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

David, KM6DOV
    Participant

Is anyone interested in participating in Winter Field Day 2019?
    https://www.winterfieldday.com/

It’s in 10 days, and I know it’s short notice, but in an emergency, we seldom have even this much time to prepare.
    If we can’t participate as a group, I’ll probably operate 1H.

Angelo, N6QAD
    Participant

I am in if we can pull a bunch of people together. We can plan Saturday after the meeting.

Mike, KJ6VCP

I’m interested….any thoughts on a station or location ?

David, KM6DOV
    Participant

Neil, do you think we could we use the campground where we tested Angelo’s maypole? Or we could operate out of my front yard, putting up a couple of antennas in the redwoods around my little meadow.
    I can bring my IC-7100, which performed adequately for the digi station on Field Day.

Mike, KJ6VCP

The 20/15/10 dipole I built for the Field Day GOTA station hasn’t made it into the trees yet, so it’s available.

Neil, W6VG

I can check with camp. Their winter program is in progress but they might not have a conflict over the weekend.

David, KM6DOV
    Participant

20/15/10 is great during the day. We should consider something else for 80/40.

David, KM6DOV
    Participant

Our broad areas of needs for Winter Field Day are as follows. Please comment on additional needs and commitments to unclaimed items:

Radios:
    * David’s Icom 7100 w/antenna tuner
    * VHF/UHF?
    * APRS?

Antennas:
    * Mikey’s fan dipole
    * Trailer UHF/VHF
    * Vertical?
    * OCF Dipole?
    * Long wire?
    * Anchor points – high point, ground pegs, guy lines

Food:
    * Shopping
    * Prep
    * Budget?

Shelter:
    * Trailer
    * Easy-up with sides?

Power:
    * Generator
    * Batteries?
    * Solar?
    * Gas (budget?)

Logging computer – Mikey

Anything else?

Mike, KJ6VCP

Need:
    Logging Software
    Site Survey – what’s available for antenna supports?

Antennas:
    There is an Inverted Vee in the resource trailer, not sure if it’s 40M or 80M.

Power:
    The trailer has 300 AH of 12V (nominal) battery capacity, plus solar. A single generator should be enough to fill gaps.

David, KM6DOV
    Participant

There’s a vast open field with not much in the way of high points to support antennas.

Neil, W6VG

I’m advised the field is soggy due to the rain. We need to be careful with it as it’s used for weddings and events almost every weekend.

In addition to Mike’s list, the trailer has:
    – VHF/UHF radio and antenna (FT-8900 and quad band CR-8900)
    – HF Vertical antenna (Hustler 6BTV)
    – Easy-up with sides (I have one too)

I can bring:
    – Long wire and 9:1 unun (approx. 64′, tunes well on most bands)
    – Honda generator (EU-2000)
    – 2 gallons of gas

I don’t expect we’ll have access to the dining hall or kitchen. I’ll maybe broach that subject this week with Matthew. There’s a nice covered deck out front I’m sure we can use and bathrooms nearby. I’ll take a couple photos of the area today and take some measurements.

David, KM6DOV
    Participant

I’d like to invite the club to join us at https://www.ovycamp.org on Saturday, and particularly around 5pm for a potluck dinner. We don’t have a lot of space to cook, so warm entrees would be especially welcome. There’s a nice deck for socializing, and parking is right there next to it.

It looks like the weather will be great, getting slightly chilly after dark. You are all welcome to come out at any time Saturday, and Sunday until about 2 or 3 to work a few contacts and help raise/take down antennas.

If you’d like to participate in any aspect, let me know on this thread or by direct message on this board.

David, KM6DOV
    Participant

SC4ARC Winter Field Day 2019 After-Action Report

Prepared January 29, 2019 by David McIntyre, KM6DOV, Incident Commander
    Pre-Planning
    Announced the event at the SC4ARES General Meeting on January 19, 2019.
    Following the ICS protocols, KM6DOV committed to the IC position and 4 other members, W6VG, KM6DKE, KJ6VCP, and N6QAD committed to working the event. Posted an announcement to the W6SCF message board and spun the conversation off to an email exchange. Created a Trello board to track tasks as identified on the mailing list.
    Deployment
    The team began arriving at the Optimist Volunteers for Youth (OVY) Camp in San Gregorio at 7:30am on January 26, 2019. Started with opening up the trailer and mounting the 144/440 antenna on the roof and getting the UHF/VHF radio on the air. Contacted the repeater to verify the ability to connect. Set up KM6DOV’s IC-7100 for HF use during the contest. Raised KJ6VCP’s 20/15/10 coupled resonator dipole for daytime operation by 10:30am and connected to the radio to start making contacts. Set up the Hustler vertical antenna, then N6QAD’s experimental delta loop.
    Operation
    Began making contacts on 20m SSB which was open to most of the North American continent during daylight hours. Moved to 40m SSB as the sun set, then to 40m PSK-31 as the bands got noisier and the phone contacts dropped off. When 40m got too noisy before dawn, we made a couple of 80m contacts, then moved back to 20m at daylight. Completed 48 Phone and 20 Digital contacts.
    Wrap-up
    Contest ended 11:00am on January 27. Disconnected radios, took down antennas, and packed the trailer, finishing at 1:30pm. Contest logs were submitted on 1/29/2019.

Operations Notes

We used about 5 Gallons of Gas for the EU2000 generator. Increased consumption was mainly from running the electric heater. Generator run time was about 3 hours/tank under load.

Propane heaters were nice to have outdoors / near the tent on a chilly evening. Next time, tent sides should be installed before dark, and before it gets cold.

We had RFI issues with the HF radio/computer interface. The dipole and delta loop had chokes near the antenna, the hustler did not. Problems were resolved by adding an HF choke between the radio and antenna switch. We should make a choke at the radio a standard part of HF radio setup, since our coax routing is rarely optimal, and RF on cables from antennas is likely.

We had some audio issues with fldigi, never resolved them.

Our planned HDMI monitor did not play well with the laptop. We were able to use a larger TV display, but space was tight.

We had some issues with the N3FJP winter field day logging software. We didn’t have permissions to install the software on the club laptop, and didn’t have the correct callsign license, so we used N6QAD’s laptop.

We should have planned for headphones and headphone amplifier/splitter. Conversations outside the trailer door step on QSO’s.

The location has a steep canyon wall directly to the east, making intermediate distance contacts difficult.

Site / Location was very nice for the event. We have been invited back next year.

Need to make contacts on every band/mode combination to increase the multiplier reward.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.