Group Admins

General

Public Group active 8 hours, 19 minutes ago

Discussion of general interest including club business and events. Please post ARES discussion in the SC4ARES group.

Weekly CW practice sessions

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

At the meeting today Lisa brought up the idea of having CW practice zoom sessions. I think it’s a great idea and would love to participate in that. David (KM6DOV) has offered to lead the sessions.

If you’d like to participate, let me know and let me know what times during the week would work for you. You can post here, or email president@sc4arc.org.

David, KM6DOV
    Participant

I guess the question is, do we want to do it over Zoom or on the air, perhaps 10 meter? The problem I had with Zoom was the codec they used didn’t treat CW very well. It chopped it up and made me mis-copy things. They did add a “performance mode” that I haven’t tried yet.
    Good news: I found the remnant rigging for my old HF antenna, so I probably won’t have to launch another line.

For those who took CW Academy, the practice files there are still great.

CWA Student Resources

Particularly the Scales: https://cwops.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Everyday-Send-Code-WR7Q-6-1.pdf

Definitely on zoom for a while. I don’t think we’re ready for the air. I’m not anyway. We can switch to the airwaves when we’re practiced-up a bit.

David, KM6DOV
    Participant

10m won’t get out of the neighborhood until the sunspots pick up a bit. I’m down to use Zoom for a little while, but I think it’s important to hear the various issues that you get with the radio, like fading (QSB), static noise (QRN), and interference (QRM).

Irma, KM6JVU
    Participant

I would definitely appreciate the encouragement to practice. 20-30 minutes on a weekend morning would be great for me. I don’t think I can commit a full hour.

David, KM6DOV
    Participant

Would those interested in CW practice please reply to this thread?

Nathaniel, KN6LGM
    Participant

I am interested

Eva, KN6CZD
    Participant

Do you need to be a certified CW operator or is this also for the curious to listen in and learn about CW and how to use it?

David, KM6DOV
    Participant

There’s no certification for CW operators. I don’t intend to teach the code, only to provide a place for people to practice what they know. Anyone is welcome to sit in.

If you have a smartphone, Morse Toad for Android or iPhone is a good way to learn letters and numbers.

If you want to learn from scratch, I can recommend CW Academy for people serious about getting code to 25wpm and contesting or the Long Island CW Club for those interested in casual conversation. CWA is free and has 1-2 hours a day commitment for 3-9 months. LICW is a club with membership dues. I don’t know what their commitment expectations are.

I’ve signed up with CW Academy and am set to be in the April/May class. It’s a great class and I encourage anyone who is interested in learning to operate CW (not just learn the alphabet) to try the class.

Irma, KM6JVU
    Participant

Jeneen, are you taking the beginner class again or moving on to the intermediate?

Eva, there are apps to listen and learn on your phone, but to actually learn keying you need a couple pieces of equipment (paddle and electronic meter).

Hmm… sounds like this could be an interesting Tech Training for a club meeting!

I signed up for beginner again. I didn’t feel prepared enough to move on to the intermediate class the last time I took it, and definitely am not prepared enough now.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.