Group Admins

• Profile picture of Linda, W6LJB (district emergency coordinator)
  • Profile picture of admin
  • Profile picture of Jeneen, W6NCS (president)
  • Profile picture of Peter, KI6FAO (treasurer)
  • Profile picture of Peggy, KI6PGA (vice president)
  • Profile picture of Pat, KJ6GMG (secretary & emergency coordinator)

General

Public Group active 1 week, 5 days ago

Discussion of general interest including club business and events. Please post ARES discussion in the SC4ARES group.

Weekend Storms

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Jeneen, W6NCS (president) 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

The unofficial word is that we’ll be getting 6-10″ between noon tomorrow and noon on Sunday, with high winds. Please make sure you’re prepared to take care of yourself, your family and your animals. Evacuate early if you feel threatened by debris flows or flooding. Keep an eye on your rain gauges. Make sure your go kits are at the ready, batteries are charged, and you can shelter in place for a week if needed.

We will be staffing the DOC in La Honda for 24 hours starting at noon tomorrow, at Chief Delay’s request. I’d like to have 3 shifts of 2 operators during that time, or 2 12-hour shifts if we can’t muster 6 people. This is an official call out, and volunteers will be covered by DSW. If you are not staffing the DOC, be prepared to participate in regular check-ins with the DOC as you are able.

More info to follow.

If you are able to volunteer for an 8- or 12- hour shift at the DOC, please let me know ASAP. I’d like to have a roster by later this afternoon.

I am available as needed.
    Linda – w6ljb

Mary, AF6IE
    Participant

I will be available.

I will try to have assignements out later tonight. I’m still hoping for a couple more volunteers. Even if you aren’t assigned to the DOC, please be available for assignment if you can, and if it becomes necessary during the event. Please do NOT self deploy. Preliminary forms 202 (incident objectives) and 205 (comms plan) can be found in the library, and by clicking on these links:

http://www.sc4arc.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/2017winterstormi-202.pdf
    http://www.sc4arc.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/2017winterstormi-205.pdf

If you are activated, please be sure to bring food, water, medications, any of your own equipment that you’d like to use, manuals, a headset if you have one, cell phone + charger, laptop + charger, and anything else you think might be useful during your shift. Also, please look over the notes from the DOC training we did in October, especially pages 7-13:

http://www.sc4arc.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/sc4ares-doc-operations.pdf

Above all else, be safe.

Thanks, everyone!

I will be at the firehouse Saturday morning for LHVFB board business. There’s a good possibility we’ll be done by noon and I’ll be available then, and already on site.

I sent peggy an email to let her know that I am available for a CERT callout if an emergency happens to necessitate our activation. But I’m not available for a shift on the radio. 🙁

Latest info from the National Weather Service – there are 2 warnings in affect:

…HIGH WIND WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM PST SUNDAY…

* TIMING…EARLY SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING…
    ALTHOUGH THERE COULD BE A BRIEF BREAK IN THE STRONG WINDS
    SATURDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

* WINDS…SOUTHERLY WINDS FROM 20 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS OF 50 TO
    60 MPH POSSIBLE IN THE HILLS ABOVE 1500 FEET.

and

* VERY HEAVY RAIN WILL FALL THIS WEEKEND WITH RAINFALL TOTALS ON
    THE ORDER OF 6 TO 10 INCHES FOR THE SANTA CRUZ MOUNTAINS

* AREA RIVERS AND STREAMS WILL SEE RAPID RISES AND LIKELY EXCEED
    THEIR BANKS THIS WEEKEND WITH FLASH FLOOD WARNINGS LIKELY
    BEING ISSUED SHOULD THE FORECAST RAINS DEVELOP AS EXPECTED. IN
    ADDITION RECENT BURN SCARS WILL BE SUSCEPTIBLE AS WELL.

For the record, Pescadero is unable to communicate on the La Honda repeater because a tree branch has taken the antenna for the voter down. Folks in Pescadero have been contacted by email and will be communicating with each other on CMD33 442.325 + 141.3. Paul can reach the HMB and Pacifica repeaters easily, so ham traffic can get out of Pescadero. He was transmitting on a 50 W rig with his ‘big’ antenna, but his transmissions to the 730 repeater were not copyable.

BTW, he was reporting that the road in Pescadero is half flooded at this point.

Feel free to call me (like Paul did!) if you have ham radio issues and phones are still up: 879-0547.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.