Group Admins

• Profile picture of Linda, W6LJB (district emergency coordinator)
  • Profile picture of admin
  • Profile picture of Bob, KM6DKE (vice president)
  • Profile picture of Mike, KJ6VCP (president)
  • Profile picture of Peter, KI6FAO (treasurer)
  • Profile picture of Pat, KJ6GMG (secretary & emergency coordinator)

General

Public Group active 1 hour, 41 minutes ago

Discussion of general interest including club business and events. Please post ARES discussion in the SC4ARES group.

Vest Loadout – my new setup for ideas/critisisms/comments

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hey guys, I got to thinking after the exercise today… and I concluded that my current setup is not adequate for a real disaster.

Sure, I’ve got a car kit, a radio go-bag and my CERT bag all nicely hooked up and sitting in my truck. But with the exception of Neil (who was clearly more prepared than I), most of us simply left our bag(s) in the comms room and went about our assignments ‘off-site’.

I also had quite a few things in my CERT vest (which is ripped and now replaced with my bad ass comms vest) which had not migrated over, until today!

I hope this is inspirational and welcome any critiques, feedback or comments.

My vest now has a pull tab on the zipper with a whistle and a squeeze light. In addition I added my Rite-In-The-Rain notebook, a Red Cross CPR mask/gloves combo that fits perfectly in the id slot, and the thing clipped to it is an ink pen.
    http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r560/kaligaran/best_zpsvt1ckf7s.jpg

The two inside pockets are now equipped with a pair of utility gloves and 4 pairs of nitrile gloves and 2 N95 masks:
    http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r560/kaligaran/vest2_zpsmvtinte1.jpg

These are things that I carry in my pocket every day anyway so they are always on me and used more than you might imagine: pocket knife, keychain with AA Flashlight, small Bic lighter wrapped in gorilla tape, Leatherman squirt, chapstick and space pen. Really just general preparedness stuff:
    http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r560/kaligaran/edc_zps0mwaowob.jpg

This doesn’t include what I do have in my backpacks which include water/snacks/rope/prybar-crowbar/blanket/first aid kit/water purification/spare radio batteries/etc. But as I said, those bags typically haven’t stayed on my back during our drills so if it’s not on my person.

Since what you’re wearing is your first tier of ‘gear’ I figured this is a good start. I welcome comments/criticisms.

Has anyone else given any thought to their vest setup?

Jeneen, W6NCS
    Participant

I hadn’t considered tricking out my vest. This is really the first time most of us have used them. Thanks for the ideas (and pictures)!

Adda, KU1NNA
    Participant

Excellent organization. Tx for sharing. I intend to follow your lead when I get home from this trip. AQ

Neil, W6VG
    Participant

Real nice, Jennie. Only my second time using this vest. I find the upper pockets small, but the interior ones a good size. Several noticed that call sign lettering gets covered by hair, sweatshirt hoods, etc. Maybe next order(?) we should put callsigns lower on the back, and see if there are slightly larger pockets available. Otherwise the vest was comfortable, worked well, and stood out like crazy!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.