Group Admins

• Profile picture of Linda, W6LJB (district emergency coordinator)
  • Profile picture of admin
  • Profile picture of Bob, KM6DKE (vice president)
  • Profile picture of Mike, KJ6VCP (president)
  • Profile picture of Peter, KI6FAO (treasurer)
  • Profile picture of Pat, KJ6GMG (secretary & emergency coordinator)

General

Public Group active 23 hours, 51 minutes ago

Discussion of general interest including club business and events. Please post ARES discussion in the SC4ARES group.

This Saturday – Antenna Build Day

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Neil, W6VG
    Participant

Have fun with antennas and fellow club members this Saturday, 10am at Neil & Mary’s house. We have wire and PVC to replicate Ed Fong’s design of a 2m/70cm antenna. Finished antennas are destined for members who need a better antenna. This is a tradition that goes back many years to founding member Jack Eddy. If you feel like wire cutting, stripping and soldering you can have a crack at building your own, or just hang out as we make at least four of these antennas.

Around noon we’ll make pizza. Crusts from the Market and simple ingredients; sauce, cheese, vegetables, pepperoni, maybe some buffalo chicken or ground beef. Bring your own beverages and anything else you’d like to put on a pizza!

I’ve uploaded a diagram to our library of the design we’ll follow. Link is here It’s not complicated, but takes a bit of time to get right. If you have tools you’re comfortable with, please bring them, but we have tools to share. Please RSVP. We’re at 5350 La Honda Rd., top of the lane going to the OVY Youth Camp Event Center. Please park at the top. Neil & Mary

David, KM6DOV
    Participant

I’ll be there. I can bring wire cutters, wire strippers, and a soldering iron.

Casey, KA5WAX
    Participant

I’ll be there, and will bring some gear. I may have a teenager in tow.
    Gear can stay if the car if it’s not needed. If it’s a hot day I can’t leave the teenager in the car.

Eva, KN6CZD
    Participant

Neil…So sorry to miss this! I’ll be out backpacking this weekend (as you may have noticed, February is he new May) and Terry has a Poetry gig. I really hope there’ll be another chance for a hands-on workshop.

Neil, W6VG
    Participant

Thanks for the RSVPs. We’ll have at least nine people. It’s not too late to join in, just let us know you’re coming. The temperature is going to be cool, and since we’d like to be outside, please bring layers. Eva, sorry you won’t be here, but I have a feeling we’ll do this again. There are some cool designs folks would like to try! See you soon! – Neil

Irma, KM6JVU
    Participant

Thank you, Neil and Mary for hosting this awesome antenna/pizza build!! Thank you Bob, Angelo, Dave, and Casey for mentoring those of us new to soldering and stripping wire. The builders all went home with new 2m/70cm antennae’s and I think we even made a couple extra. What a great learning experience.

I’ve uploaded pics to a Google Photo album here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/gqcYkpNG64XNHRPNA

Unfortunately it didn’t occur to me till we were on our way home that I should have taken a group photo with all the finished products. Next time!

KM6JVU

Neil, W6VG
    Participant

Thanks for an incredible day, and thanks Irma for the write-up and for taking photos (though I didn’t see them through the link). I have a few too.

Thirteen people attended and built eight 2m/70cm antennas that all checked out really well! Casey and Henry were busy building stuff all morning too. Everyone had a chance to learn about antenna design, soldering, using an analyzer, while having a great time too. I’d like to thank those in our ICS structure; Bob M. for Logistics, David M., Angelo, and Bob M. for Operations (and mentoring), Aaron for being Safety Officer, Jack Eddy for the inspiration, and Mary for the all-important Food and Shelter. Thanks to everyone who made it a real party! – Neil, IC

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.