Group Admins

• Profile picture of Linda, W6LJB (district emergency coordinator)
  • Profile picture of admin
  • Profile picture of Bob, KM6DKE (vice president)
  • Profile picture of Mike, KJ6VCP (president)
  • Profile picture of Peter, KI6FAO (treasurer)
  • Profile picture of Pat, KJ6GMG (secretary & emergency coordinator)

General

Public Group active 3 hours, 59 minutes ago

Discussion of general interest including club business and events. Please post ARES discussion in the SC4ARES group.

Technician Licensing Class December 14-15

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

There’s been increased interest in a Technician Licensing Preparation Class following the recent PSPS by PG&E.

We will hold a 2 day class December 14 and 15, 9:00 to 4:30 both days, at the La Honda firehouse. Registration forms are available at http://www.sc4arc.org/tlc.pdf

If you would like to distribute posters in your community, you may download from http://www.sc4arc.org/tlc_poster.pdf

Casey, KA5WAX
    Participant

Thanks for the poster, I’ll be distributing it this weekend down in Pescadero & at the next PMAC meeting.

Neil, W6VG
    Participant

Let me know if you need instructors. Happy to help this time around!

Eva, KN6CZD
    Participant

For the test date on December 21, is it possible to walk in and take the General test? Do I need to register /fill out a form for this test (general) and/or file with the FCC?

David, KM6DOV
    Participant

You don’t need any pre-authorization to take the exam, though it’s good for the examiners to know that you’ll be there so there are enough chairs set out.
    Bring your FRN (FCC ID number), photo ID, and a non-programmable calculator for the few questions that require math. I don’t know whether we’re still in the 1 year cycle where the testing fee is still $15 cash. Someone else may have more insight into that.
    If you’re feeling particularly motivated, you can take the Extra exam at the same session that you take the General, and there’s no additional test fee.

Eva, KN6CZD
    Participant

Thanks DOV. Much appreciated.

It’s short notice: Please let me know if you are interested in teaching a section December 14th or 15th. We’re moving quickly and keeping this local so regretfully, I’m not reaching out to HMB this time (though I appreciate their help.)

If you’ve recently offered to help teach, please confirm your availability here.

Because of the size of the class (26 sign-ups to date) we’re planning to use the apparatus bay at the La Honda fire station. We’ll need help setting up and breaking down both days. Let me know if you can pitch in.

Casey, KA5WAX
    Participant

I have a conflict for Saturday 14th setup, however I can help with tear-down Sunday 15th
    If you are setting up Friday I can help as well.
    LMK

Bob, W6RES
    Participant

I’m in for both teaching and setup/takedown.

What’s the plan for visuals in the bay? The display on the wall?

Bob

Eva, KN6CZD
    Participant

Hi Peter,
    i can help set up for class and/or tear down, let me know your needs/times. Its so cool to have such overwhelming interest from the local community.

eva

We have a projector for presentations. I will double check on that tonight.

Since we are using the apparatus bay we can’t leave the tables and chairs set up outside of class hours: The engines are parked inside at night. We’ll have to set up before the 9:00 AM start and take everything down after 4:30 both days.

I’ll pick up some snacks and coffee for our students, but if someone wants to bring something extra, I’m certain that it will be appreciated!

Spoilers: I’ll bring the hot dogger and a box of LEDs on Sunday. (Thank you, W6RES.) Pass the mustard…

Neil, W6VG
    Participant

I’m available to teach the 14th or 15th. Let me know which unit(s) you could use me for. I usually like doing my own prep if time permits, so any advance notice would be appreciated. I can help with setup or teardown as needed…

Casey, KA5WAX
    Participant

OIC; I can help tear down both nights, and set up the Sunday.

I have a spare projector or two if needed. One is in the Butano, the other in Belmont so I wld need some lead time. ( one is rather old – VGA input max. )

I can also offer a tripod stand for those giant 3m sticky sheets; I used to use those as a ‘wall of truth’ for participants questions to be answered later. The idea being one writes down random questions and gets back to them as the lessons flow. The sticky sheets can be stuck to handy firetrucks and whatnot if there are a lot of questions. Social engineering wise it seems to help to acknowledge questions and cross them off later, even if it’s the next day.

It’s currently in our emergency hut in the Butano but this seems like a suitable use for a w’end.

LMK

We have 2 projectors on hand already, but we do need a projection screen. If anyone has one that we can borrow, please respond.

If you hold a General Class or higher license, the following sections are available for you to teach…

Saturday morning:
    About Ham Radio pp 33-36
    Call Signs pp 37-44
    Control pp 45-50
    Mind The Rules pp 51-54
    Tech Frequencies pp 55-64

Saturday afternoon:
    Your First Radio pp 65-68
    Repeaters pp 79-86
    Emergency!!! pp 87-92
    Weak Signal Propagation pp 93-102
    Run Some Interference Protection pp 131-138
    Talk To Outer Space! pp 103-108

Sunday afternoon:
    Picture This! pp 159-170
    Feed Me With Some Good Coax! pp 179-188

Jeneen, W6NCS
    Participant

I have a projection screen you can use. In which case, if you need me to teach I would prefer something on Saturday morning. I can also bring treats that morning.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.