Group Admins

General

Public Group active 7 hours, 39 minutes ago

Discussion of general interest including club business and events. Please post ARES discussion in the SC4ARES group.

(short ) Green Dawn FSE observations

Tagged: ,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Casey, KA5WAX
    Participant

Hi Folks,
    I participated in the Green Dawn exercise today. Happy to describe it in detail if anyone wants.

however Radio-Wise I noticed that:
    * many Hams in the crowd of CERT folks, with HTs programmed to the pre-defined channel plan
    * sizeable # of CERT folks with FRS radios.

Some Ham group decided to ditch the pre-defined channel plan, and came up with another frequency for simplex on-site communications. This was spread word-of-mouth as folks noticed who was packing what.

About half an hour later the IC decided that all tactical work would be on FRS since that was the predominant tool ( and they had brought a big box of extras. )

I’m new enough to all this I couldn’t tell if this was part of the exercise or not.

Now the trick was that once FRS was decided folks with Ham sets which could receive FRS were in a bind, as the common reference was ‘Go to Chanel 4, 4’ which is some FRS frequency with a CTCSS tone/code dealy. For the most part people couldn’t find / didn’t know what frequency 4 was, and what the frequency of the tone/code was. ( I’ve since printed out a reference page for my kittage. )

At the wind-up / burn-down / hot shower / debrief there was some frustration expressed about this early flailing, and the light/incomplete use of the participants Ham skills.

end of radio stuff. Onward!

Joseph, K9JOE
    Participant

Be aware that not all FRS radios are consistent channel wise between brands and sometimes the CTCSS tones are non-standard. And, it is not legal to use a ham radio to transmit on FRS frequencies.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.