Group Admins

• Profile picture of Linda, W6LJB (district emergency coordinator)
  • Profile picture of admin
  • Profile picture of Bob, KM6DKE (vice president)
  • Profile picture of Mike, KJ6VCP (president)
  • Profile picture of Peter, KI6FAO (treasurer)
  • Profile picture of Pat, KJ6GMG (secretary & emergency coordinator)

General

Public Group active 2 days, 20 hours ago

Discussion of general interest including club business and events. Please post ARES discussion in the SC4ARES group.

SC4ARC Simplex Test Aug. 29th

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Neil, W6VG
    Participant

It was agreed at our general meeting Saturday to conduct our own simplex test again this year. We want to do it soon to better prepare for fire season, power outages, and winter (or August) storms that might come our way. Knowing who you can reach via simplex could be a life saver if you’re unable to reach a repeater. Messages can then be relayed to appropriate parties.

We’ve set a 9am start time for Saturday, August 29th. The exercise should take about an hour, depending on how many register to participate. We’ll be testing on both 2-meters and 6-meters. You can register as a participant, or be “listen-only”, recording your results and returning them to us to be compiled. All information is useful!

An online registration form will be available soon, and more information will follow about the test. In the meantime, mark your calendars and reserve a little time on the 29th for this valuable exercise.

Neil, W6VG
    Participant

“POSTPONED”. I’m hoping everyone is okay despite having to evacuate our homes and neighborhoods. Hopefully the “all clear” will be announced soon and we can start to pick up some semblance of normal (Covid) life.

I think it’s fair to say we’ll postpone our August 29th simplex test. Several members have been discussing during shifts at LH Fire how we can perform training and exercises despite not being able to gather in person. There are some good ideas.

The importance of continuing our training and exercises like simplex tests has never been more apparent. I believe our ARES members have performed extremely well throughout this incident, but there’s still much to learn from an actual activation like this. I’d encourage keeping notes of your own experiences the last 10 days so we can have an honest and serious discussion in the coming weeks. We’ll be better prepared and stronger communicators for it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.