Group Admins

General

Public Group active 7 hours, 55 minutes ago

Discussion of general interest including club business and events. Please post ARES discussion in the SC4ARES group.

PSA: Power out San G to Ano N, up thru DB Park

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Casey, KA5WAX
    Participant

Hi folks,

According to CalOes power is out for about 700 folks down here, and while the cause is currently unknown the estimated time for power restoration is 6pm.

That may be enough time for the Cell towers to go down along the coast. Dunno the current state of affairs WRT the battery backup in the towers.

The CMD31 Link from Ranch is still running, but the KD6GKE UHF repeater seems to be down.

I’ll be running the generator for a bit more, but also powering off my various UPS systems to keep some juice going for when we turn the generator off.

David, KM6DOV
    Participant

KD6KGE CMD33 is working from Loma Mar.

Mary, AF6IE
    Participant

We’re out on Hwy 84 5 miles east from zHwy 1.

Our auxiliary radio for CMD31 above Butano has sufficient battery for several days of operation. I’d put a generator on it if the outage lasts more than 5 days. The goal was 9 days of backup and we exceed that.

CMD33 (KD6KGE, UHF for Butano and Pescadero) hasn’t been maintained in quite a long time and the batteries are dead. The club could adopt it (that is my suggestion) and buy batteries. I’ll work up an estimate on the annual cost of doing so, and we can decide what we want to do.

David, KM6DOV
    Participant

I can hear a bee-doop tone on CMD33, but it’s working. Heard it yesterday as well. Has it lost power and running on dying batteries?

Casey, KA5WAX
    Participant

David, interesting on KD6KGE. TBH I haven’t pinged it since fall. But I thought it at least had an ack beep.
    oh wait, at 2:26 as I write this it just IDed.
    hmm. 141.3 right? I just heard a low signal quality tx.

ok I’ll file this into ‘mysteries for later today’and may try some radios up in the garage while I am doing ‘chores’

David, KM6DOV
    Participant

I keyed up and ID’d on CMD33. I might have just mumbled callsign into the mic to comply with FCC.
    PL is 141.3

I have never been able to work CMD33 from my home so I’m not familiar with how it normally sounds. I don’t believe it has the 2 tone battery alert (that’s something that I made up for CMD31.) The club that used to run KD6KGE may have assigned some other significance (like link up/down) to the confirmation beeps.

The last time that I visited the repeater hut the batteries for CMD33 were heavily sulphited. John told me (and I expect) that the batteries have no capacity left. I’ve no specs. on standby or active current (yet) so I can’t estimate what new batteries might do.

Casey, KA5WAX
    Participant

Thanks Peter for the context re KD6KGE’s state.
    I had thought JH had been up there doing something, but sometimes there is more looking than doing. Or the perfect is the enemy of the good. or I am the walrus. I think JH sprung for the new door after the break-in? so much mythology and turf over here.
    JK, who I know tangentially, seems sensible enough and perhaps would like a formalization of the
    care of his system. If you think I would help by being involved just say the words.
    @ least happy to carry batteries up from the road.

Casey, KA5WAX
    Participant

David, if you look at the SC4ARES repeater page ( http://www.sc4arc.org/repeaters/ ) you’ll see

CMD33 (KD6KGE) 442.3250 MHz(+) CTCSS:141.3

which is also in the 2019 San Mateo County Sherrif’s Ham Plan

and perhaps they are all … wrong?! I’ll give it a shot later.

David, KM6DOV
    Participant

Yep. That’s how I’m configured.

Casey, KA5WAX
    Participant

aye, numeric dyslexia once again. Altho since that’s what got me into programming, which turned out fine, I can’t really complain.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.