Group Admins

• Profile picture of Linda, W6LJB (district emergency coordinator)
  • Profile picture of admin
  • Profile picture of Jeneen, W6NCS (president)
  • Profile picture of Peter, KI6FAO (treasurer)
  • Profile picture of Peggy, KI6PGA (vice president)
  • Profile picture of Pat, KJ6GMG (secretary & emergency coordinator)

General

Public Group active 1 week, 1 day ago

Discussion of general interest including club business and events. Please post ARES discussion in the SC4ARES group.

Opinion re Tri-Band Yaesu VX-6R please

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Casey, KA5WAX 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Mary, AF6IE
    Participant

With the SET coming up, I realize I’ve put off for so long replacing the broken-off knob on my Ft-60 that I now think I should get a new radio.

If anyone has had experience, personal or vicarious, with the Tri-Band Yaesu VX-6R Submersible Amateur Ham Radio Transceiver (144/222/440) I would appreciate your opinion.

Mary Panton
    AF6IE

David, KM6DOV
    Participant

I’ve been drooling over the FT3D, the new Yaesu dual-band HT with APRS and a color touch screen display. I’ve looked at some of the review videos, and the battery life is astonishing at about 12 hours of actual use, and the UI looks like a smaller version of my FTM-400XDR with big, bold buttons and clear display.

Gabe, K6YAH
    Participant

I have a VX-6R. It’s a great radio: small, bulletproof, does its job. You are welcome to play with it a bit if you would like.

Mary, AF6IE
    Participant

Thank you you two. Thinly I’ll take a look at the FT3D. Being an old lady, I find the small display on the FT-60 a pain.

Casey, KA5WAX
    Participant

I have a vx6r, and it’s rather handy.

I really appreciate the memory structure, and have divided the options into about 10 banks.

These banks get rolled into scanning mode based on where I happen to be – on the Bayside, CoastSide, in the Butano, on the hills. I have one for driving to Tahoe.

If I am participating in a drill I try to get a channel plan ahead of time and then program that in as well. When the drill is over I wipe the bank so as not to be confused.

Additionally I keep banks just for FRS and GMRS.

While in the car I have an alternate power supply running off the cig lighter and a speakermike thingy doo.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.