Group Admins

• Profile picture of Linda, W6LJB (district emergency coordinator)
  • Profile picture of admin
  • Profile picture of Bob, KM6DKE (vice president)
  • Profile picture of Mike, KJ6VCP (president)
  • Profile picture of Peter, KI6FAO (treasurer)
  • Profile picture of Pat, KJ6GMG (secretary & emergency coordinator)

General

Public Group active 10 hours, 12 minutes ago

Discussion of general interest including club business and events. Please post ARES discussion in the SC4ARES group.

New members and Programming

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Martine, KN6GMK
    Participant

I was listening in to the meeting today, and was doing too many things at the same time to join (I just returned from Paris in the nick of time!)
    But in terms of recruiting and mentoring new members, the big hurdle is to figure out how to program the handheld in order to join the Net check ins, etc.
    I was lucky and very grateful to Peter who programmed my handheld using a software program. But I have a friend who recently got her license, and she has no idea how to join. I can figure out how to program a few frequencies by reading the manual, but is the software available to the common folk? 🙂
    I would like to mentor my friend, but since we are SIP, it would be great to have handheld programming instructions on the web site (or are all hand held different?)
    Thank you for any advice,

Martine NK6GMK

David, KM6DOV
    Participant

Martine,

Programming software varies from one brand to another, but the software that works with most is called Chirp, available at http://chirp.danplanet.net. I believe the data file that the club uses is available somewhere in the file archives, but someone who’s familiar should probably link in a reply.

The other important piece is the programming cable. Most radios don’t have it included, but they’re typically available from the manufacturer or from companies like RT Systems.

There are several directions this discussion could go, but the most important is knowing the make and model of radio your friend has.

David – KM6DOV

Martine,
    The datafile for programming is under the “Information” tab at the top of the page. Look for the entry “Coastside Communication Plan”. ON that page is a .csv file with all the programming in it.

Here is a direct link to the file.
    http://www.sc4arc.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Coastside_Comm_Frequencies-R8.csv

As David mentioned, the cable is a key component. Unfortunately there isn’t a standard one, so you will need to either buy or borrow one that works with your particular radio.

If we knew the model of the radio, we might be able to provide or find a quick guide for programming it directly. I’d be happy to help

Bob

Martine,
    The datafile for programming is under the “Information” tab at the top of the page. Look for the entry “Coastside Communication Plan”. ON that page is a .csv file with all the programming in it.

Here is a direct link to the file.
    http://www.sc4arc.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Coastside_Comm_Frequencies-R8.csv

As David mentioned, the cable is a key component. Unfortunately there isn’t a standard one, so you will need to either buy or borrow one that works with your particular radio.

If we knew the model of the radio, we might be able to provide or find a quick guide for programming it directly. I’d be happy to help

Bob

Eva, KN6CZD
    Participant

Martine,

I have a cable for using chirp with the yaesu ft60 you can borrow. Call me or email me to arrange pickup if you promise to return it. Chirp with the MAC seems to have some issues lately but we have manged to use it, i’ll be happy to share what i know.

eva

Eva, KN6CZD
    Participant

If you rather want to buy the cable this is what i bought and it is proven to work.
    https://www.valley-ent.com/store/yaesu-usb-ftdi-radio-programming-cable-ft-60-vx-1-vx-2-vx-5.html
    FTDI is the operative word!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.