Group Admins

• Profile picture of Linda, W6LJB (district emergency coordinator)
  • Profile picture of admin
  • Profile picture of Bob, KM6DKE (vice president)
  • Profile picture of Mike, KJ6VCP (president)
  • Profile picture of Peter, KI6FAO (treasurer)
  • Profile picture of Pat, KJ6GMG (secretary & emergency coordinator)

General

Public Group active 2 hours, 4 minutes ago

Discussion of general interest including club business and events. Please post ARES discussion in the SC4ARES group.

New date – Oct. 4th Simplex Test

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Neil, W6VG
    Participant

We have rescheduled our simplex test for Sunday, October 4th at 10am. This is a chance to test your radio skills using simplex frequencies and also learn your connectivity to other stations in the event our repeaters are not working. This is an important exercise! We are still in a dry fire season and winter storms are yet to come. We need our radio skills to be top notch.

You can test multiple radios and/or antennas by registering each separately. You must register to participate. The test instructions and script are here.

Please take advantage of this opportunity!! Hear you on the air – Neil

Neil, W6VG
    Participant

We have 10 stations registered as of Saturday afternoon but are expecting a few more. I’ll generate a signal report sheet and send it out Sunday morning so you have something to keep track of stations heard and their Circuit Merit (CM). Thanks for all the sign-ups! – Neil

Eva, KN6CZD
    Participant

Good Morning Neil,

did you mean to send this out by email? We did not receive the log.

Other question: We did not so great on the last simplex test with our 50W home station (Kenwood) down here in the canyon. We expect it to be even more challenging on the HTs, even with the pole antenna further up in the woods. So the question is: If I monitor the Simplex transmissions on the CMD31, and i don’t hear whoever is in front of me, how do i know when it is my turn? If i switch to the repeater i can’t evaluate those transmissions.

Is it allowed to use the second handheld to monitor the repeater?

eva

Since we’re using the repeater output frequency for simplex, you will also hear the repeater when you’re on the simplex frequency. That’s how you will know we’re starting the next turn.

And, yes, you can use a another radio to monitor.

oops – forgot to mention – you can get feedback if the monitor radio is loud enough when you are transmitting, so turn it down when it’s your turn.

David, KM6DOV
    Participant

I used a second radio to monitor and for (almost) all repeater transmissions. Oddly enough, that one had terrible receive for the repeater. Guess it’s time for antenna maintenance.

Eva, KN6CZD
    Participant

Well, whatever you used for the Simplex, it was the first time i heard you on Simplex (on my HT up on the hill behind our house).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.