Group Admins

• Profile picture of Linda, W6LJB (district emergency coordinator)
  • Profile picture of admin
  • Profile picture of Jeneen, W6NCS (president)
  • Profile picture of Peter, KI6FAO (treasurer)
  • Profile picture of Peggy, KI6PGA (vice president)
  • Profile picture of Pat, KJ6GMG (secretary & emergency coordinator)

General

Public Group active 1 week, 5 days ago

Discussion of general interest including club business and events. Please post ARES discussion in the SC4ARES group.

Industrial power supplies for mobile units

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Mike, KJ6VCP 1 year ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Casey, KA5WAX
    Participant

hello Radio Illuminati!

I am considering using a Mean Well closed-frame powersupply, such as one would find in all sorts of industrial equipment, to power a mobile unit while it’s… hmm immobile. One of their 13.2V, 7A supplies. There are supposed to be very quiet, electronically.

Have any of you folks gone this route? Should I use a medical-grade unit?

Mike, KJ6VCP
    Participant

I haven’t tried them, but they have so many models you would have to dig up actual specs. I probably wouldn’t buy one for this purpose, but If had one, or got one cheap, I would try it 🙂

Keep in mind, a 50W VHF/UHF transceiver will pull closer to 13A when transmitting. The popular ham radio switching supplies are the PowerWerx ss-dv30 (actually 25A) and they seem to be low noise. Or find an ancient Astron linear regulated supply. The only noise they generate is 60Hz vibration from the transformer.

Casey, KA5WAX
    Participant

I’m pretty good w/Mean Well actual specs per se. One can just navigate their spec matix up the amperage vector.

The missing ‘actual specs’ for these things are those about incidental RF emissions.

How do you folks measure that? SDR?

Mike, KJ6VCP
    Participant

An AM radio with a magnetic bar antenna is pretty good. I don’t measure – I just find the source, and make a judgment on how serious it is. If I can’t hear it, it’s probably not an issue for me.

There’s a load of info at http://www.arrl.org/radio-frequency-interference-rfi

“Locating RF Interference at HF” is a good article. A lot of the items published focus more on resolving that finding RFI, but a radio makes a good detector.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.