Group Admins

General

Public Group active 8 hours, 42 minutes ago

Discussion of general interest including club business and events. Please post ARES discussion in the SC4ARES group.

generator recommendation?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Can anyone recommend a ~quiet~ dual-fuel generator. I’m getting tired of throwing out my food 🙁 It just needs to run the fridge, and maybe a laptop or two. I’m looking at a Champion 3400-Watt, which is probably more than I need, but if anyone knows of something cheaper/quieter/better I’d like to know. Thanks.

David, KM6DOV
    Participant

Honda EU2000i is a wonderful generator. It’s probably the quietest on the market and fairly easily adaptable to dual fuel. The inverter power is cleaner than the old rotating magnet generators, so it’s safe for laptops. It also has 12V output for convenience.

How is it adaptable to dual fuel?

David, KM6DOV
    Participant

This one will let you still use gasoline, as well as high pressure propane (big tanks) and BBQ size tanks.

Joseph, K9JOE
    Participant

Inverter type generators are much quieter and fuel efficient as they only run as fast as they need to depending on the load. The down side is they are twice the price. I would encourage you to shop for one already able to use propane and not do a conversion. Any conversion will invalidate any warranty. Also, bigger is better. I wouldn’t even consider anything less than 2000 watts. The compressor motors in refrigerators can draw a lot of current when starting. Many years ago I borrowed at 1200 watt generator and it would not start our refrigerator. I think something in the 3000-4000 watt range would be more than adequate.

Thanks for the responses! I appreciate the input. I think I’ll stick with the Champion I was looking at.

Joseph, K9JOE
    Participant

Wow, that looks like an excellent choice at a great price. Makes me want one now.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.