Group Admins

• Profile picture of Linda, W6LJB (district emergency coordinator)
  • Profile picture of admin
  • Profile picture of Bob, KM6DKE (vice president)
  • Profile picture of Mike, KJ6VCP (president)
  • Profile picture of Peter, KI6FAO (treasurer)
  • Profile picture of Pat, KJ6GMG (secretary & emergency coordinator)

General

Public Group active 9 hours, 6 minutes ago

Discussion of general interest including club business and events. Please post ARES discussion in the SC4ARES group.

FRS/GMRS Frequencies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Neil, W6VG
    Participant

Found a great chart of the new FRS/GMRS frequencies (2017). Of particular interest are the frequencies common to both radios, and the GMRS repeater info. Here’s a link to the pdf in our library:

http://www.sc4arc.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/frs-gmrs-combined-channel-chart—the-radioreference-wiki.pdf

David, KM6DOV
    Participant

FRS-GMRS combined channel chart

The browser seems to have rewritten the 3 dashes and broke the link. Here’s the fix.

If you note on this chart, someone with a GMRS license can use up to 50 watts on those frequencies. Typically, cheap Chinese radios like the Baofeng, TYT, and Leixen have these frequencies unlocked, but it’s possible to modify Kenwood, Icom, and Yaesu radios to unlock those frequencies for transmit. This is called a MARS/CAP mod, and you can find instructions online. You will definitely want a steady hand with a soldering iron because the parts are TINY. You’ll also need an antenna tuned to the higher frequencies or risk burning out your radio. Fortunately, we have the skills to build antennas! And if you’re just making one for GMRS, it’s only the short bottom section, so it’s far less soldering, unless you want to tune the top segment for MURS frequencies. But that’s another topic for a later time.

Joseph, K9JOE
    Participant

Just keep in mind that transmitting on those frequencies with a modified radio is illegal….Just say’n.

David, KM6DOV
    Participant

Oh right. Yes. Forgot to mention, don’t modify your radio unless you’re a MARS member (which I was when I modified mine).

Neil, W6VG
    Participant

Here’s a new link to the FRS/GMRS chart: Click Me

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Neil, W6VG.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.