Group Admins

General

Public Group active 7 hours, 54 minutes ago

Discussion of general interest including club business and events. Please post ARES discussion in the SC4ARES group.

Field Day QSO Points, by Band

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Field Day is coming, June 23 and 24. I thought it might be interesting to look at the distribution of QSO points by band, over the past few years.
    QSO points by Band
    The bulk of the contacts (nearly half) are in the 40m band, with most of the rest in the 80m and 20m bands. An notable trend is that the longer wavelengths have seen more action as solar activity has increased.

Art, W6VV
    Blocked

Hi Peter and the group–

This is interesting, but I wouldn’t put a lot of stock in the conclusion. When the sunspot activity increases, the shorter wavelength bands should be more active. I don’t know whether we had good 15-meter antennas last year to take advantage of whatever opportunities might have been there.

Also, last year I worked a lot on the 80-meter band. I’m not quite sure how I wound up operating there. Perhaps it was serendipity. Quite often, 80-meters has lots of QRN in the summer. Last year, the band had virtually no QRN at night, and QSOs were fairly easy to come by. We could have worked more 80 CW if we had another CW op; the loggers were willing, but I was almost falling asleep at the operating position about 2 AM or so. Get cracking, you new CW ops! I need help!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.