Group Admins

General

Public Group active 9 hours, 21 minutes ago

Discussion of general interest including club business and events. Please post ARES discussion in the SC4ARES group.

Field Day Antenna Raising

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Friday afternoon, June 22nd,  we will erect antennas at the La Honda Gardens in preparation for Field Day.  If you are interested in how they go up or if you want to learn more about antennas, please discuss or sign up on this thread.

So far, we have:

If you are not signed up for email updates and would like to follow this discussion, click on the “Follow this topic” button above and you’ll receive updates as they are posted.  You must have an account and join this group to post here and to receive email updates.

Bill, KI6MEG
    Participant

Bill, KI6MEG
    Will be there for antennae raising. Will bring camera.

Mary, AF6IE
    Participant

I would like to be there I’d work allows.
    Mary AF6IE

If it works for everyone:  I’d like to start setting up the antennas at 14:00 on Friday.  We’re going to inventory everything before, so the set up should go smoothly, and not go too late.
    The schedule for the rest of the weekend, starting Saturday should go:

10:00  Setup radios and power distribution.

12:00  Start operating.  One of the radios will be connected to a solar panel, giving us…

12:00-12:20  “Natural” powered contacts.  We have to complete 5 QSOs to claim the 100 pt bonus.  Come and see how simple solar powered operation can be.

14:00-15:00  Soldering class.  We have a dozen “Blinkie Badge” kits that make a great first soldering project, and several soldering stations.  If you’ve never soldered before;  Come and learn how.

16:00-17:00   PowerPole clinic.  PowerPole connectors are pretty much the standard, now, in ARES work, and with good reason:  They offer a low resistance connection that can handle more than 45 Amperes in a standardized connector format.  If you haven’t put PowerPole connectors on your gear, bring it to Field Day and install them with our crimping tools.  We’ll also have wire on hand to make up extension cables, and examples of adapters that you can make or buy to expand your radio’s capabilites.

18:00 Pot luck dinner.

18:30-19:00  Digital radio text demonstration.  K6KPH will transmit the Field Day bulletin in several digital, text modes.  Your radio with a simple adapter and a laptop computer may be used to send and receive text.  This narrowband mode is nearly as efficient as CW.

Sunday:

12:00  Wrap it up.  We’ll have operated for 24 hours continuous.  Pack everything up and head home.

I managed to leave my 50′ coax behind.  It belongs to my Beautiful Antenna,

and has pink stripes on the connectors.  Anyone have it?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.