Group Admins

General

Public Group active 7 hours, 28 minutes ago

Discussion of general interest including club business and events. Please post ARES discussion in the SC4ARES group.

Field Day 2021

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Hi all,
    field day has arrived. Thanks to Neil, Bob and Mike we are ready to go also this year and we hope it is going to be fun.

I hope you all will be able to participate at least for a bit. If you want to do so, please read the operation guide that you can find here:

http://www.sc4arc.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/fd-2021-sc4arc-operating-guide-v2.pdf

This is the latest version that has been fully updated. All you need to know to participate is in there. Schedule, zoom and other links, and instructions.
    Feel free to contact any one of us if you have questions.

Talk to you Friday for setup!
    Neil, Bob, Mike, and Angelo

Irma, KM6JVU
    Participant

Join us on Zoom for our Field Day Tech Sessions:
    Join Zoom Meeting
    https://zoom.us/j/95557216105?pwd=MUJsM3JnR001SmRDbkxUdkRDMWJudz09

Meeting ID: 955 5721 6105
    Passcode: 012232

One tap mobile
    +16699009128,,95557216105#,,,,*012232# US (San Jose)
    +13462487799,,95557216105#,,,,*012232# US (Houston)

Irma, KM6JVU
    Participant

Field Day Educational Sessions have concluded. The Zoom channel will remain open until 8pm for anyone who needs to contact an elmer for help with radio operations or other Field Day questions.

Big thanks to KM6DKE, W6VG, and KJ6VCP for very informative and interesting presentations. The sessions were recorded so we will make them available via the club YouTube channel in a few days time.

Nathaniel, KN6LGM
    Participant

I have a question about logging contacts. I was using my paper log book to write them down, with the ida of converting them into electronic form at a later date. I am now noticing that the logging software is not compatible with my Mac OS.
    I can send my contacts to Angelo as a simple Excel file, or as a CSV,TSB, fasta, text etc. in Cabrillo format if he would like.

Eva, KN6CZD
    Participant

Hi Nate,

i have the same problem, none of the radio software works on mac. I am looking into Linux as an alternative but not a quick fix. Other mac people (Neil) are running parallels but you need to buy a copy of the windows OS.

I sent my paper log as a spreadsheet to Angelo last year. I added an FCC validation column to make sure i had no fictional / misheard contacts. Angelo did the rest.

This year i was wondering if maybe Angelo could do a zoom and teach us how to calculate and submit these. I am still not 1200% sure how many bonus points i can claim, I am not going to be able to finalize my submission until at least mid next week though.

David, KM6DOV
    Participant

The logs typically go out in Cabrillo format, but there are a lot of manual bits to enter for your bonus points. If you can get your contacts into that format, you’re about halfway to a full submittable report.

Hi all,
    hope you had fun. Yes, we can at some point make a little tutorial on how to calculate points. In the meantime, if you want to know your score fill your QSOs in the online calculator(see guide).
    If you want me to submit your results, please send me your list of QSOs (any format) and I will generate the final files.
    If you want to do it yourself we can try to have a zoom meeting next weekend (since it is a long one and I will have some time). Let me know.
    I think in the calculator we miss points from Nate, Pat, and Eva. We missed many operators this year so our score will be lower but still not bad it seems.

Next year we will have a grandiose FD to make it up for two years sitting in our houses. Start thinking big and come up with ideas (I see if I can get a blimp ….. joking … or maybe not!).

Best,
    Angelo

Let me add a couple of things we know for sure by now.

The operator of the year is Gabriel AJ6X who not only got the most QSOs but also got them QRP (5X more points).

Congratulations to Gabriel.

For those who don’t know yet. This year Gabrial also received a DXCC award and just completed also a mobile DXCC award (only 25 people ever got this one).

Neil, W6VG
    Participant

Thanks Angelo for leading another great FD, and to all the planners that made FD work again remotely. Eva, maybe you and I can get together and figure out your bonus points and get your logs submitted.

Thanks also to Irma for hosting Zoom again this year and recording our flash educational demos. A little editing and three should be ready to post to our YouTube channel soon.

Congratulations to Gabriel for your station this year and your DX Century Club award. I hope you’ll consider giving us a tech session on your mobile station. I understand it’s a thing of beauty!

I had 15 visitors at my station this year and despite some technical difficulties enjoyed myself thoroughly.

Mary, AF6IE
    Participant

Regarding Gabriel’s amazing success described above: Some of our new folks may not know the meaning of a few of the acronyms. Here’s a translation:

QSO: Confirmed contact
    QRP: Contacts made using low power. For example, my radio was using 50 watts of power; Gabriel’s was using only 5 watts, just like your handy-talky AMAZING!
    DX: Long distance communications.
    DXCC: DX Century Club
    DXCC is Amateur Radio’s premier award that hams can earn by confirming on the air contacts with 100 countries.

You will find a list of commonly used Ham Radio acronyms here:
    https://www.giangrandi.org/electronics/radio/abbrev.shtml

AND Angelo’s Field Day Operations Guide is amazing. What a lot of work and expertise went into it. Thank you, Angelo and thanks to all those who helped set up and assisted during Field Day.

Mary, AF6IE
    Participant

Logging Question: I was digital using WXJT-X running F8. I found that many of my contacts would respond to my CQ which, of course, would show their exchange information but, when my software asked for confirmation the contact would not respond. This happened so often that I believe those responders logged that exchange as a contact since both of us had each others’ exchange information. I, however, did not log those as contacts.

Was I missing out on valid points?

Sue, KN6CZA
    Participant

A big thanks to Neil and Mike for spending so much time with me on Friday and Saturday. They were so patient in explaining everything to me. It really helped a lot to see everything in action. Books only get you so far…

Hi all,
    I have started submitting log files for Field Day. So far I have done KJ6GMG, K6TPS and N6QAD.

If anyone else wants me to submit the log files, please send them to me asap (angelo.dragone@gmail.com). I have some time this weekend.

Best,
    Angelo

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.