Group Admins

General

Public Group active 14 minutes ago

Discussion of general interest including club business and events. Please post ARES discussion in the SC4ARES group.

Be ready for potential ARES activations

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

To all ARES members,

The San Mateo County Office of Emergency Services is planning for the potential of catastrophic mudslides as an aftermath of the CZU Fire in the following areas: Whitehouse Canyon (SMC-E038), Gazos Creek (SMC-E019), Butano Canyon (SMC-E098) and Loma Mar (SMC-E018).

The County and La Honda Fire Brigade would like to activate CERT and ARES resources to assist in the likelihood of a serious threat. CERT resources can be utilized as follows:

Pre-Incident: Help notify affected communities of the potential threat by distributing informational flyers, delivering weather radios and assisting in radio communications.

72 – 48 hours prior to an expected incident: The County will authorize Chief Delay, of the La Honda Fire Brigade, and Chief Cosgrave, of the Coastside Fire District, to assume ICS command of the incident and to activate CERT and ARES volunteers.

24 – 12 hours prior to an expected incident: Incident Command will establish EOC’s and DOC’s as determined by the incident. Volunteers will receive their assignments for the incident. Assignments may include: assisting field observations of rain totals and river levels or assisting law enforcement with pre-storm evacuations.

Post Incident: Needs may vary depending on impact. Possibly assist with repopulation efforts.

Please make sure you check your go kits and are ready to go if a call occurs.

On December 16, at 7:00 p.m., there will be a webinar on the CZU Debris Flow plans. Pat will follow up with Webinar information.
    Best,
    Angelo N6QAD

Casey, KA5WAX
    Participant

If you would like more background on the issue here are a couple of videos and docs

– USGS Scientist who helped deliver the preliminary analysis spoke at PMAC
    PMAC GDrive – https://drive.google.com/file/d/13osYGePRDeRO04wdXps9ozvwiNlK3mhM/view?usp=sharing ( home made don’t laff )
    – prelim doc : https://landslides.usgs.gov/hazards/postfire_debrisflow/detail.php?objectid=299 ) document

– the WERT report: https://www.smcgov.org/sites/smcgov.org/files/CZU%20Lightning%20Complex%20WERT%20Final%2010-6-20.pdf

– Public Zoomer on Phase II, including evacuation planning for debris flow: https://youtu.be/_NcJgW13n3I

in addition USGS will be speaking on this at the next San Mateo Firesafe Council meeting, this upcoming Wednesday. I can update this post with the zoom link when it becomes available, or you can write Sheena@sanmeteoRCD.org / fire@sanmateoRCD.org to get on the mailing list.

Irma, KM6JVU
    Participant

Angelo,
    This reminds me to ask about ARES vests and/or badges. I only have a CERT vest, but if I am sitting at the radio desk at the DOC, providing radio support for LAEG, or operating a mobile station under an ARES callout, the CERT vest is not appropriate.

For me, personally, I get a little confused as to the chain of command when I am both CERT and ARES. It’s great to be able to deploy for any role, but when I “switch hats” I would like to literally switch vests (or hats or whatever). And our club badge is just a name badge for ARC so it’s not really a credential for an emergency situation.

I believe the club was talking about placing a bulk order for vests a while ago. What can we do to make that happen before the winter storm season and potential activation?

The vests are great because they are visible and have useful pockets, but if they are too expensive or difficult to obtain, I would settle for a hat or badge.

Thanks,
    Irma

Eva, KN6CZD
    Participant

I second Irma’s requests for ARES vests, esp. sizes that fits petites.
    My cert vest from 2006 accommodates an elephant. Light mesh, no pockets.

Also clarification of deployment protocol for people with 2 hats would be helpful.

Should HAM/Certs respond to the text messages from SMC/OES for CERT deployment or follow Angelo’s call for staffing DOC Net Control??

Casey, KA5WAX
    Participant

Interesting points. here’s a discussion from elsewhere:
    https://www.qsl.net/kg6djo/CERTComm/PressRoom/ARES_RACES_and_CERT_Comm.html

if we’re unlucky enough to have to deal with lots of other volunteer groups it’ll behoove us to have this all dialed in.

the kidding part –
    As for myself, I vote for samurai battle flags we can swap in and out… Sashimono

I will reply tonight. ARES has specific rules for vests. I got mine from Amazon for 19 dollars. Not the greatest but does the job.
    We can also explore if we can get in a bulk order somewhere. I remember someone was going to look into vests but I don’t remember who.

Anyway we have a radio survey starting at 2pm. If anyone is interested in following turn the radio on CMD31.

We might do follow ups in other areas if someone is interested.
    Angelo

Casey, KA5WAX
    Participant

( tried to edit the resource post, above, but apparently one may only edit for a period after the initial post; sorry for the noise )

here’s the zoom info for the this week’s FireSafe

The Fire Safe San Mateo County meeting will be held virtually for the month of December via Zoom videoconferencing. The meeting will be 9:30 – 11:00am, December 9, 2020. The Zoom conference room will open 15 minutes prior to the beginning of the meeting.

Join Zoom Meeting

https://zoom.us/j/8119100623
    Meeting ID: 811 910 0623

One tap mobile
    +16699009128,,8119100623# US (San Jose)

Dial by phone:
    +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)

all are welcome.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.