Group Admins

General

Public Group active 8 hours, 56 minutes ago

Discussion of general interest including club business and events. Please post ARES discussion in the SC4ARES group.

Almaden Air Force base radar

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Joseph, K9JOE
    Participant

If anyone is interested.

I had the opportunity to hike around the newly opened Mt. Umunhum. Having grown up in the Santa Clara Valley, I remember the television picture jumping every 12 seconds and broadcast radio buzzing once every 12 seconds as the radar antenna swept by your direction. It was just something you got used to. The radar was part of a network of long range early warning during the cold war.

The radar ‘sail’ on Mt. Umunhum weighed 84 tons. It operated between 216-234 Mhz and put out 20 millisecond pulses at an ERP of 5 megawatts. It could be dialed up to 7.5 megawatts if needed. The sail was fed with a 9″ diameter solid feed line. The station was in operation from 1958 to 1980 and could ‘see’ 250 miles.

Paul, KJ6MPZ
    Participant

Yes, I remember seeing the radar spinning…… Growing up, it was always a mystery, to what actually went on there, sort of like the blue cube, in Sunnyvale……..Anyhow, that would be an awesome place for field day, due to elevation, and now the ease of getting there. Just thinking out of the box…. Maybe a field trip?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.