Group Admins

General

Public Group active 1 hour, 41 minutes ago

Discussion of general interest including club business and events. Please post ARES discussion in the SC4ARES group.

2021 Winter Field Day

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Neil, W6VG
    Participant

Any interest in Winter Field Day this year? We can participate as a club as we did last June (remotely) or register on our own. The dates are January 30/31st. I plan to participate one way or another!

Jim, K6TPS
    Participant

Sounds like fun. Sign me up for club event if enough interest.

Thanks Neil.

Jim K6TPS

Looks like the rules will allow to do the same we did in June. Single participants adding the club name during submission.

Note that FT8 is not allowed. Hopefully people will fall back to PSK otherwise you need a good antenna for analog modes.

I am not sure I will participate this year.

Angelo

David, KM6DOV
    Participant

I’m interested. Let’s do it.

Neil, W6VG
    Participant

Great! IC anyone?

Irma, KM6JVU
    Participant

Per this weekend’s club meeting, I’ve volunteered to be IC for this event. I’m going through the excellent documentation from prior events provided by DOV and QAD, so stay tuned and I’ll have a plan out by Wednesday, if not earlier.

If there are any new hams who aren’t sure what a Field Day is but might be interested in “shadowing”, let me know. We might be able to do something virtually or with proper COVID protocols so that you can watch another ham setting up, making contacts, and logging. Just an idea.

KM6JVU

Neil, W6VG
    Participant

Thanks Irma! I’m starting my prep this week but am planning on moving the trailer and raising antennas next week. I’d welcome a shadow, but the weather forecast doesn’t look amenable to proper outdoor protocols! I’d be happy to do a zoom or two with new hams with questions at some point during setup.

Good thought about a live cam during operations. I’ll think about how I might set that up for the trailer. Maybe just an hour or two during operations using Zoom? – Neil, W6VG

Eva, KN6CZD
    Participant

We are sitting on the fence due to weather concerns. If the weather is nice and clear we will drive our busmobile out to the windy hill parking lot and do the same (limited) protocol we did last summer with our Kenwood and pole antenna. Instead of in the bus we can set up the radio on a folding table outside, and if anyone wants to meet us there in their own cars (Krista, Sue, Martine???) we could very well do a safe distancing session. Even the hand held worked from there 🙂 We can also explain our Kenwood setup with the backup battery and powergate and how it would install in a car.

Pretty basic stuff but still a good refresher & practice.

So lets hope for a nice day!

eva

Irma, KM6JVU
    Participant

Apologies for being behind on planning — have been a little preoccupied with winter storm prep (haven’t we all).

If you are still planning to participate in Winter Field Day this weekend, please complete this short survey:
    https://forms.gle/ZGBJKKNA6RfBQeAi6

If you are INTERESTED in learning more about Field Day or how to do contesting contacts, please let me know directly. We are going to try to capture the highlights of this event “for educational purposes.”

Irma

Neil, W6VG
    Participant

I’m still planning to participate but can’t get into the survey form. – VG

Irma, KM6JVU
    Participant

Sorry about that, Neil. I fixed the permissions. Please try it again.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.