Group Admins

General

Public Group active 8 hours, 13 minutes ago

Discussion of general interest including club business and events. Please post ARES discussion in the SC4ARES group.

2021 Field Day

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Field Day is only a couple of months away. We decided this year we would try having a hybrid event, with some people working from their homes, and anyone feeling like it’s safe to congregate outside operating from the site at La Honda Openspace. Getting a permit for that is complicated this year, and we’re still waiting to hear back from the rangers about it.

We will be finalizing plans for Field Day at the general meeting next Saturday (4/17), but I would like to have someone signed up as IC so we can hit the ground running. Angelo has done such an amazing job organizing and documenting both the @home and outside versions of Field Day that most of the work is already done!

If you are interested in being IC for 2021 Field Day or have questions about the job, please drop an email to board@sc4arc.org

Also, I’d like to get a sense of how many people are interested in operating from the La Honda site. If there aren’t very many, it might not be worth pursuing. Keep in mind, it’s a lot of work to set up the site, and with fewer people available to help with that because of the pandemic, it would probably need to be scaled back. Please respond to this post if you would attend Field Day at the La Honda site if it is an option.

David, KM6DOV
    Participant

Since I’m fully vaccinated, I’d like to operate from the La Honda site if possible.

Adda, KU1NNA
    Participant

Will and Adda are fully shot and could be participants at the Open Space location for Field Day. We have a rig and can sleep over to observe any installations. But we probably won’t be much help for elaborate antenna setups. We can volunteer for cooking tho!

If we don’t get a permit we can probably still find an outdoor place where we don’t need a permit. As long as we follow CDC rules I will be happy to do a real field day this year.

Neil, W6VG
    Participant

Mary and I will be fully vaccinated well before Field Day and would love to participate in a group event if possible. The Resource Trailer has worked well as an outdoor station and would be a good asset for the event. I will volunteer to help set up an antenna or two to get us on the air! Mary says she can also help set up antennas.

Joseph, K9JOE
    Participant

Please remember that being vaccinated does not mean it’s a free for all. Social distancing and masking still applies. Just say’n.

Joe
    is correct. We will follow CDC guidelines in any case. We will see in two months what the situation will be. For vaccinated people current rules are below:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html

Angelo

David, KM6DOV
    Participant

California DPH says outdoor gatherings up to 50 people are okay in Orange tier. I’m hoping we’re in yellow by June, but I don’t think we’ve had more than 50 at a time at Field Day since I’ve been attending. We should start thinking about how we’re going to do food, particularly since serving utensils are the biggest risk factor and radio shifts, since scribes and operators typically have to work in close proximity, under 6′. As with all things, we each need to decide for ourselves what risks we’re willing to tolerate, even if an event meets the fed/state/county requirements.
    https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/OPA/Pages/NR21-109.aspx

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.