Group Admins

• Profile picture of Linda, W6LJB (district emergency coordinator)
  • Profile picture of admin
  • Profile picture of Jeneen, W6NCS (president)
  • Profile picture of Peter, KI6FAO (treasurer)
  • Profile picture of Peggy, KI6PGA (vice president)
  • Profile picture of Pat, KJ6GMG (secretary & emergency coordinator)

General

Public Group active 11 hours, 16 minutes ago

Discussion of general interest including club business and events. Please post ARES discussion in the SC4ARES group.

2019 Simplex Test

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Mike, KJ6VCP 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Me again.

We’ve been talking about having another simplex test to see who can reach who if the repeaters are down. We decided that sometime in February would be good, once everyone has had time to recuperate from the holidays. We will be testing 440, 2m and 6m simplex. Mikey is in charge of organizing, but I want to get a date set so it will be on your calendars. The more people who participate, the more useful the test will be. I propose February 9th, at 9 am. If this date/time doesn’t work for you, please respond with a suggestion for another date/time in February and we can take a poll.

We also want to do an HF NVIS test, and may want to do it on the same day after the UHF/VHF tests or another day, maybe later in the day hoping for better conditions. More on that later.

Mary, AF6IE
    Participant

2/9/19 looks good for me….but it’s still early to say.

Mike, KJ6VCP
    Participant

I uploaded the slides from the Simplex overview to the library:
    http://www.sc4arc.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/2019_simplex_overview.pdf

We confirmed February 9th as the date. Instructions and registration details will follow later this week.

Mike, KJ6VCP
    Participant

The instructions for the simplex test have been uploaded at:
    http://www.sc4arc.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/sc4ares_instructions_2019_simplex.pdf

Stations need to register in advance. The registration form is at
    https://goo.gl/forms/8bFDV0NYKVKTbDYz2

A few people asked about testing multiple radios (mobile, base, HT, etc.) If you want to do that, just register multiple times with a call sign modifier. For example, KJ6VCP/HT for handheld, KJ6VCP/BASE for a home station. Or you can just put the details in the location description.

Casey, KA5WAX
    Participant

Mike, do you want ‘listen only’ participants to register ahead of time? I don’t see any field to indicate such folks don’t end up on the transmission queue list. ( could well of missed it! )

Mike, KJ6VCP
    Participant

If you select listen-only, I’ll assume you are not transmitting. Mostly, a listen only registration will collect the location info, which is not public but will let us create a map of the results.

Casey, KA5WAX
    Participant

Mike, do you want ‘listen only’ participants to register ahead of time? I don’t see any field to use to indicate such folks don’t end up on the transmission queue list. ( could well of missed it! )

I’m working on lining up some Canyon listeners, as I’ll be in a board meeting while this is happening. I’ll distribute instructions, and your final matrix, Friday afternoon. I’ll gather and collate Sat afternoon.

I use ‘listening’ for our canyon folks in a wistful sense, like unicorn sighting.

Mike, will you be sending out a list of transmitting registrants, with location info, prior to Sat?

Thanks.

Mike, KJ6VCP
    Participant

I have uploaded a blank logging form to the site:
    http://www.sc4arc.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/sc4ares_logging_2019_simplex.pdf

This is a pdf form; you can either print it out, and fill it in by hand, or fill it in with Acrobat, save it, and email it back.

I will mail out a list of all the registrations to everyone that registered Thursday evening. We may still get registrations after that, but the list should be mostly complete.

Casey, KA5WAX
    Participant

Will someone forward me the registrants list; I’m assuming it’s in order of the exercise.
    I am decyphering some cryptic glyphs here.

NM, I’ll just send this along to Mike

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  Casey, KA5WAX.

David, KM6DOV
    Participant

How is the final report coming along?

Mike, KJ6VCP
    Participant

I have updated the final report to the library.

This has a summary of who heard who, and a map for each station plotting the results.

2019_sc4arc_simplex_results.pdf

I have raw data if anyone is interested in more analysis. Also, the maps are just snapshots – the live version is more fun but I don’t have an easy way to host them.

Casey, KA5WAX
    Participant

Thanks Mike.
    when you get a moment send along the raw data to me? I suppose it’s CSV, or perhaps some XLS format.
    I want to update the Butano CERT wiki.
    TIA

Mike, KJ6VCP
    Participant

Done.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.